Going back to working routine after retirement may seem worthless to some people. However, today’s seniors see it differently. For them, it is a way of redefining their transition into a new life’s chapter. 55% of Americans have plans of continuing working after retirement from their current jobs. Out of the 55%, 14% are planning to join full-time employment, while 41% are targeting part-time jobs. Find more information here. Whether you need the extra cash to keep you going or to simply stay physically and mentally active, this article has a lot in store for you. Find out which part-time jobs best suits your needs after retirement. Happy reading.
Reasons Why Seniors Seek Part-Time Jobs after Retirement
- Avoid Loneliness and Boredom. After retirement, elderly persons find themselves in the world of loneliness and boredom more often. To avoid feelings of loneliness and boredom, seniors seeking for part-time jobs to keep them engaged and active.
- To Save More for Big Expenses. Once you retire, you don’t have your salary anymore. Your pension may not just be enough to cover all your expenses. Having a part-time job helps seniors save money for big expenses, such as prescription medication, for those taking them.
- To Pay an Existing Debt. You may have retired with so many unsettled debts. Having a part-time job may be the only option to get you off the hook.
- For Financial Security. Some elderly persons simply go for part-time jobs to enhance their financial security. Being financially secure is important for everyone. Handling financial emergencies becomes easier when you are secured financially.
- To Stay Healthy. Other seniors mainly go back to work for health advantages it comes with. Working keeps you mentally and physically active. This helps you avoid some of the common diseases of the old and also increases your mental sharpness, which is good for your mental well-being.
- To Maintain Social Connection. Some elderly persons work part-time to maintain their social connections by meeting new people and making friends enhance their social well-being.
Best Part-Time Jobs for Seniors
Whatever your reason for going back to work part-time is, the following are the best jobs you can ever think of:
As a housekeeper, you will be responsible for ensuring a clean environment is maintained at all times. You can find this job in private homes or hotels. What are the possible work duties for housekeeping? Well, you will be responsible for removing garbage on time, ensuring carpets are vacuumed, sweeping and mopping, ensuring amenities are available and adequate for the guests, and maybe cleaning surfaces to remove dust. You must do everything at the required time and based on the needs of your employer. Wondering what you will be earning for housekeeping? The national average salary for housekeeping in the U.S. is $11.82 per hour. Find out more about being a housekeeper at https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/careers/what-does-a-housekeeper-do.
2. Dental Hygienist
To operate as a dental hygienist in the U.S., you must meet certain requirements. First, you need to perhaps have an educational background in this field, maybe a degree, depending on the required qualifications. You will also need a license to work and for this, you have to go through some written and clinical exams. There are continuing education requirements that you must meet to operate as a dental hygienist. Some fees for maintaining your license also apply, depending on your state of residence. Fees range from $37 to $325. The national average hourly pay for this job is $35.42.
Have you retired yet you still love your job? Being a consultant is one of the best part-time jobs for seniors. You can still spend some time doing your job, by using your expertise, network, and experience to help other people doing the same job. You can consider working for your old employer or join other companies in the field. The salary for being a consultant varies, depending on your old salary, health and retirement benefits, and paid time off. Sometimes, being a consultant pays off better than working as an employee, especially if you are a senior with the exact knowledge and expertise the company needs. Want to know how you can get a job as a consultant? Why don’t you visit https://www.thebalancecareers.com/how-to-get-a-job-as-a-consultant-2060783 and find more information?
Being an Uber or Lyft driver is one of the best part-time jobs for seniors capable of setting their working schedules. For this to work best, it is advisable to be more flexible in working during the day. Did you know that more than 50% of Uber and Lyft drivers are over 60 years? Read more from https://therideshareguy.com/uber-driver-survey/.
Being a secretary is easy and that makes it an ideal option for a part-time job for retired seniors. Your work as a secretary includes answering phone calls, creating and making copies of office documents, arranging files as required, and coordinating communications within the office. You will be the first person a guest meets upon entering an office to see your boss. To perform this job best, ensure you are a warm and welcoming person as this helps in making a good impression of the company you work for. You can find this job in an office setting, maybe in a clinic or legal company.
- Pet Sitter
Ever considered working as a pet sitter? It can be one of the most rewarding and fulfilling part-time jobs for retired elderly persons. This works best if you love pets and enjoy being around and taking care of them. As a pet sitter, you will be attending to the needs of the pet. You must be understanding when it comes to animal behavior and be able to exercise and engage in effective communication with the owners while they are on vacation or any other form of holiday. The national average pays for being a pet sitter is $12.44 per hour.
7. Private Tutoring
Remember how hard you worked to get through training and education in your field? You spent decades trying to be a professional. Now that you have retired, why not pass the knowledge to other people and get paid for it? Looking for a place to get started? https://www.moneytalksnews.com/flexjobs is where you can find part-time tutoring gigs and earn some extra cash for maintenance.