Grants for Seniors in Washington

Last Updated on April 18, 2024 by Rachel

Key Senior Statistics in Washington (60 and over)
Senior Population: 1,789,686 (23.0%) Senior Population: 1,789,686 (23.0%)
Male: 46.8% Male: 46.8%
Female: 53.2% Female: 53.2%
Median Age: 70 Median Age: 70
Disability: 30% Disability: 30%
With Social Security Income: 73% With Social Security Income: 73%
With Food Stamp/SNAP Benefits: 10% With Food Stamp/SNAP Benefits: 10%
Below 100% of the Poverty Level: 10% Below 100% of the Poverty Level: 10%
Data Source: Data Source:
Data is taken from American Community Survey 2022. Please check our detailed page about Senior Statistics in Washington for more data and information.

Help for Seniors in Washington – 31 Assistance Programs

Washington is a state having beautiful rivers, lakes, and waterfalls, outdoor, and indoor activities. It is a good option for seniors with regard to its better healthcare system, locally grown food markets, and lower taxes towards seniors. However, the cost of living, in general, is high in Washington and seniors may have trouble bearing these higher expenses. Thus, the State of Washington, the federal government, and local charity organizations provide a whole range of services and programs for senior residents.

State Assistance

Area Agencies on Aging (AAAs): AAAs were created in 1973 under the Federal Older Americans Act to help older adults remain independent in their homes. These agencies are spread throughout Washington State in every county. AAAs assist seniors in accessing additional care, services, and programs. Some of the assistance includes helping frail adults to give them access to activities and make use of socialization opportunities in places like senior centers. If looking for services and resources for older adults aged 60+, AAA offices are a good starting point. The agencies are also a good resource for family, friends, and caregivers who need information, support, and respite care services as they take care of older adults. Find your local AAA at

Senior Information & Assistance (I&A): Senior Information & Assistance is a referral service for seniors aged at least 60 and for friends and families caring the older adults. The program helps with any queries and concerns about getting assistance for older adults and anyone providing care and support to older adults without getting paid. Through this program, older adults can have access to transportation, housekeeping, meal, and personal care services. One can also find a way to sort out their legal issues and figure out their healthcare insurance, long-term care, and prescription drug options. Visit to find the nearest I&A.

Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRCs): ADRCs provide information, referral, and support services to older adults, their families, and caregivers to help them get all the resources they need to thrive.

Family Caregiver Support Program (FCSP): The Family Caregiver Support Program (FCSP) is designed to support unpaid caregivers of older adults in Washington. FCSP has offices spread throughout the state and helps seniors’ caregivers find local resources and services, connect to support groups and counseling services, get training on certain topics about caregiving, and respite care, and have a chance to provide information and some suggestions to help others too. Find the nearest FCSP at

Home and Community Services (HCS): These are services provided to older adults through the Aging and Long-Term Support Administration, an agency operating under the Washington Department of Health and Social Services (DSHS). The program’s staff offers assistance to elderly persons in need of care services, but they can’t pay for them due to their low income. If for instance, a low-income older adult is eligible for Medicaid, an HCS case manager will work with them to identify additional support services and help come up with an appropriate care plan to cater to their needs. Find an HCS office at

Adult Protective Services (APS): The purpose of this program is to offer protection services to vulnerable seniors by carrying out investigations about cases of abandonment, neglect, abuse, and financial exploitation among older adults living in their own homes. These investigations are conducted at no fees, and income doesn’t identify if one qualifies for assistance or not. Reach out to APS at

Long-Term Care Ombudsman: The goal of the Washington State Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program is to protect and enhance the quality of life among senior residents of long-term care facilities, including Assisted Living Facilities, Nursing Homes, Memory Care Facilities, and Adult Family Homes. The Ombudsmen work with residents of these communities to identify and meet their needs and concerns, including coming up with solutions to daily challenges and complaints they face in those facilities. In other words, they advocate for the rights and interests of the residents of adult care facilities. Why contact a local ombudsman? Well, these people are a trusted resource for resolving concerns and complaints older adults may have in long-term care facilities. Find the local Ombudsman office at

Financial Assistance

Washington Community First Choice Option Waiver was created under the Affordable Care Act to support seniors who wish to live independently at their homes instead of a nursing home or care facility. People who are 65 years of age and older and looking for financial assistance to cover their medical expenses are the main target of this waiver. To read more about this financial support, please click the link or dial 360 725 2393.

Saint Vincent de Paul Financial Assistance is one of the most common cash services for people in need throughout the state. It also provides food assistance, clothing support, medical help, rent, transportation support, and utilities. Seniors who are 60 years of age or above can benefit from these services and monetary aid. The amount of aid differs depending on the current financial situation of the applicant. The link to their official website is as follows or call the Helpline Center at 206 767 6449.

Housing and Rent Assistance

Washington Emergency Rental Assistance Program was constituted and has been subsidized by the Department of Human Services for low and moderate-income residents. Older tenants who face eviction or foreclosure are qualified for this benefit. The amount of the help is calculated by taking into account the total household income and current resources of the program. This rental support continues until the eligible candidate can stand on his or her own feet. For further information and to apply, please go to or contact 202 727 5355.

Washington Emergency Shelter was built and has been taken care of by the State of Washington for individuals or families who are about to lose their homes or who are already homeless. These shelters present a nice and warm environment for people with their full service. The shelters are both designed for families and older people. Seniors who need an emergency place to crash for while are encouraged to apply for these shelters. To learn more, please follow the link or make a phone call at 202 673 4464.

The Permanent Supportive Housing Program is the solution of the Department of Human Services for the long run to fight against homelessness. It is available for everyone in need but elder residents who have housing support are particularly prioritized. This program provides stable, secure, and better housing for eligible candidates.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • You must be at risk of losing your home or already being homeless.
  • You must be a resident of DC.
  • You must be willing to work and pay your rent after a while.
  • You must meet the criteria for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families.

Find out more information at or get in touch with 202 698 4166.

Housing and Essential Needs (HEN) Referral Program: HEN was created to offer rental support to seniors who are unable to work for at least 90 days due to a physical disability or mental problem. The Washington Department of Health Services determines the eligibility for referral to the program. The Department of Commerce, with help from homeless and homeless prevention service providers, determines who qualifies for assistance. HEN services may include:

  • Rent and utility support.
  • Move-in-related expenses.
  • Items to help seniors maintain personal health and hygiene.
  • Cleaning supplies.
  • Assistance with transportation.

To qualify for the program support, older adults must demonstrate a physical or mental disability that prevents them from working for at least 90 days and meet the low-income and citizenship requirements. For more details about how this program works, reach out to your nearest HEN provider at

Home Repair Grants for Seniors

There are several other programs available across the US that assist seniors with home improvements in the form of home repair grants to address the health and safety concerns in their homes.

USDA’s Single Family Housing Repair Loans & Grants in Washington: Also known as the Section 504 Home Repair Program, the Single-Family Housing Repair Loans & Grants in Washington offers support to senior homeowners to enable them to perform the necessary home modifications to remove any health and safety hazards from their residences. Through the program, older adults can qualify for grants of up to $10,000, which must be repaid if the receiver resells or changes the ownership of the property within three years of receiving assistance. To be eligible for the home repair assistance, seniors applying must be 62+, be homeowners and occupy the houses, demonstrate an inability to repay the grant, be unable to acquire affordable credit anywhere else, and meet the low-income limits in your area. Assistance depends on the availability of funds. For assistance with the application process, seniors can reach out to any of the nearest USDA home loan specialists. Visit For more details.

Healthcare Assistance

Washington The Medicaid Personal Care Program was specifically designed for seniors who need personal care assistance at their homes or nursing centers. It was formed and has been led by the Washington State Healthcare Authority. Any person who applies for this benefit must earn less than $ 783 per month. To get further detail, please go to or make a phone call to 182 513 1225.

Washington Basic Health is a special healthcare program that was founded and has been financed by the State of Washington. It offers affordable healthcare services and insurance by preparing personal healthcare plans for each applicant. Seniors who need health insurance and help with their medical expenses are urged to apply to this program. Check out more information at make connections with 800 562 3022.

The Washington Emergency Medical Program was particularly planned to help low and middle-income families or individuals who need emergency medical assistance. Seniors who are 65 years of age or above and who need emergency medical assistance are encouraged to get in touch with this program to get support. Find out more information at or by phone at 877 501 2233.

In terms of oral health, there are several programs that offer dental grants or assistance to seniors. Dental exams, cleanings, fillings, extractions, and other necessary dental services are all covered by these programs.

Utility Bills Assistance

Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP): Administered by the Washington State Department of Commerce, LIHEAP’s purpose is to help low-income Washington seniors pay their heating bills and avoid disconnection from their energy sources. The assistance is offered with the help of a network of Community Action Agencies (CAAs) and local partners who determine seniors eligible for support and how much they are qualified to receive, based on their incomes and family sizes. LIHEAP pays the energy assistance grant directly to the service providers so that families are safe from disconnection. Older adults may also qualify for help with the repair or replacement of dysfunctional and unsafe heating or cooling equipment. Read more at

Weatherization Assistance: The elderly Washingtonians with less efficient home energy can get help from Weatherization Assistance. Through the program, one can qualify for insulation of new energy systems, make important upgrades to the existing systems, and repair and replace less efficient tools. This helps reduce the cost of heating or cooling at home. For more information, please visit

Washington Lifeline: The purpose of Lifeline is to help low-income older adults have access to communication services at a low cost. Subscribers are given monthly discounts on their telephone services and broadband internet access services. The goal is to enable them to stay connected with their loved ones and have access to local health, financial, and food assistance services. Applicants must meet the low-income limit (at least 135% of the federal poverty guideline). Find out more at

Washington Emergency Cash Assistance was established and has been sponsored by the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services for people in financial struggle. Senior residents who are having a hard time paying their utility bills are qualified for this cash assistance. It is a one-time payment but the amount of the money changes based on the applicant’s current financial situation. Read more at or give it a call at 877 501 2233.

Washington Energy Matchmaker Conservation Program is an energy-saving program for low and middle-income families. Elder citizens who wish to save energy and money are encouraged to apply for this program. The homes of the beneficiaries will be repaired based on energy efficiency equipment. Its services also include repairing the attic, floor insulation, attic, and weather stripping.  There are more alternatives available to assist seniors with utility bill payments.

Food Assistance

Washington Basic Food Program is also recognized as the Washington Food Stamp Program. It was created and has been run by the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services. Elder residents may have difficulties cooking for themselves at their homes or are not able to purchase nutritious, tasty, and healthy food based on their diet. They can apply for this program and receive monthly food bags. Eligible recipients also get an Electronic Benefits Transfer Card (EBT) which can be used at local grocery stores and farmers’ markets to purchase healthy fruits, vegetables, and other foods. Further information can be accessed by clicking on the following link or dial 425 347 1229. More senior food programs are being established to make it easier for those in need to obtain nutritious food and meals.

Transportation Assistance

The Health Care Authority (HCA) offers nonemergency transportation support to low-income seniors to and from healthcare facilities. HCA uses local transit providers to provide support to eligible older adults. Only participants of Medicaid and CHIP are eligible at the moment. Seniors receiving other state-funded benefits may also qualify for this transportation support program. The forms of transportation available through the program include ferry tickets, airplanes, wheelchair vans, taxis, public buses, and gas vouchers. Read more at

Charities and Nonprofits’ Assistance for Seniors

Catholic Charities Eastern Washington – Senior Services Program: Catholic Charities Eastern Washington provides the Senior Services program whose purpose is to help aging adults and seniors with disabilities who’d like to remain in their homes. Catholic Charities work with volunteers who stay closer to the clients, creating friendships with them, and thereby helping to transform their lives for the better. More information is available at

Sound Generations: Sound Generations works to create a favorable environment for seniors where they can thrive, as well as those who take care of them. The organization work with a Caregiver Support team who have previously been caregivers themselves. They have a deep understanding of the everyday struggle these people go through. Visit for more details.

Assistance for Senior Veterans

The Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA): WDVA offers support to senior veterans and their families by advocating on behalf of their benefits and entitlements. The department assists veterans obtain VA Disability Compensation, VA Pension or Windows Pension, Aid & Attendance, Health Care Benefits, and any other benefits entitled to them from the state or federal government. The WDVA staff uses a case management approach to ensure all the needs of senior veterans are met. More information is available at

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

1. What financial assistance programs are available for seniors in Washington? Washington State offers the Senior Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program for fresh produce, the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) for utility bill aid, and the Statewide Health Insurance Benefits Advisors (SHIBA) for help with Medicare and healthcare costs.

2. How can seniors apply for Medicaid in Washington? Seniors in Washington can apply for Medicaid online through the Washington Healthplanfinder, by phone, or in person at local Home & Community Services (HCS) offices. Necessary documentation includes proof of income, assets, residency, and age.

3. What housing assistance is available for seniors in Washington? The Washington State Housing Finance Commission (WSHFC) administers the Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) and provides resources for affordable senior housing. Additionally, programs are available to assist with home modifications for accessibility and safety.

4. Can seniors receive assistance with utility bills in Washington? Yes, the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and the Utility Discount Program (UDP) in certain cities offer financial assistance to seniors for managing their utility and heating costs.

5. How do seniors get help with prescription medications in Washington? The Washington Prescription Drug Program (WPDP) offers discounts on prescription medications, and SHIBA advisors can assist seniors in finding additional programs to help cover medication costs.

6. Are there property tax relief programs for seniors in Washington? Washington provides a property tax exemption and deferral program for seniors and disabled persons, offering relief based on income level, age, and disability status to reduce the property tax burden.

7. What in-home care services can seniors access in Washington? Washington’s Home and Community Services (HCS) offers programs like the Medicaid Personal Care (MPC) and Community First Choice (CFC) Program, providing in-home assistance with daily activities to support seniors wishing to remain in their homes.

8. How can seniors access transportation services in Washington? Local transit authorities in Washington offer reduced fare programs for seniors. Additionally, Area Agencies on Aging coordinate transportation services for non-emergency medical appointments and other essential travel.

9. What nutritional programs support seniors in Washington? Programs like Meals on Wheels and congregate meal programs at senior centers are available throughout Washington, providing nutritious meals and fostering community among seniors.

10. How can seniors in Washington receive legal assistance? Legal services for seniors in Washington are provided by organizations such as Northwest Justice Project, offering free legal aid on matters including healthcare, housing, and consumer rights.